Gordon McKnight Architects
Gordon McKnight’s architectural practice was begun in the 1950s, Orangefield Presbyterian Church in Belfast (1955-7) marking one of the first in a long specialist line of church designs (particularly for Protestant denominations) over four decades, including Methodist College Chapel, Belfast (1968), Martyrs’ Memorial Free Presbyterian Church, Belfast (1969), St Columba’s Church of Ireland, Portadown (1970), High Kirk, Ballymena (1976) and Albertbridge Road Congregational, Belfast (1986), all designed during the Troubles era. The practice was based initially in Belfast and later moved to Holywood, Co. Down. McKnight’s first pupil Norman Hawthorn (d.2009) stayed with the firm for the duration of his career and became a partner, continuing the practice after Gordon McKnight retired. McKnight became an active water-colour artist in his retirement and an Academician of the Royal Ulster Academy (RUA).